Monday, November 24, 2014

Week 2 – November 24th 2014

Ok well I'm just now finishing up my second week at the MTC and am going to be flying out to Minnesota earlyWednesday morning. I'm trying to brace myself for the freezing weather, but I'm not sure there really is anything that can prepare me. Here's a quick overview at week two here in the MTC...

Tuesday:
-Today was the first day I went to the normal gym class and let me tell you... there was a reason PE wasn't my favorite growing up. But you all will be happy to know that I can still run a mile under 10 minutes and that I was able to do 60 push-ups (on my knees). But like the scriptures say, By small and simple things are great things brought to pass.
 
- Our little trio of a companionship had our first little struggle today, but we were able to talk things out and move forward. Being so much older and having experience in my field of social work is definitely going to be put to good use out here that's for sure! Speaking of being older... I was talking with my two companions and we realized when I first got to college they both were still in primary. HA- Kinda funny!

    First day it snowed here at the MTC! Its' about to get really snowy.
Sister Zimmerman Me and Sister Steadman 

- We met with a new investigator Melissa today and our lesson went great. I should have clarified earlier that most of the people we teach are members taking on the role of themselves before they were baptized. But for being members already they make it seem very real still. Even then some of the people we teach aren't members. They don't tell the missionaries who are and aren't.

- Speaking of investigators Carl committed to being baptized today! YAY! We are so happy for him!

- Oh and we also did a skyping lesson with a member and shared a message with her... that was a disaster, but I guess that is why we are here at the MTC. This is the time to LEARN!

-Tonight we met together as a district and we were all able to share our testimonies. It was awesome to hear from everyone and to feel the presence of the spirit.

- Then, tonight my companions talked me into being in the MTC choir. Oh my that was quite a joke! It was kinda a big deal. They recorded us and we did a practice and for some reason the camera kept coming on me! The funny part was that they put me with the girls who sing crazy high and we all know I don't do that. Anyways, I just lip synced my little heart out hopping that you couldn't tell anything was actually coming out. I totally had to pull a Milli Vanilli!


Wednesday:
- WOW today I was insanely TIRED!!! All day long I just struggled to get through. My energy level is definitely going down and everyday when I finally get to put my head on my pillow it is a glorious moment!


Thursday:
- We kick-started our day by cleaning a whopping 40 toilets! That was our slot for service and we happened to be the last group that showed up so we were stuck with the toilets, but luckily they really weren't so bad. My companions and I just sang our little hearts out and chose to have a jolly time together.

- Today I also got the two shots I still needed, but I had mail to read while getting them so they weren't so bad. By the way I'm LOVING ALL OF THE MAIL I'm getting! You guys sure make me feel so loved and so special. Mail truly is the best thing for a missionary!

- Okay, so today the companionship hit another BIG BUMP in the road. We were struggling with negativity. Negative attitudes are not good, let me tell you. They really do affect being able to have the spirit. But once again we talked it out. Today was a much BOLDER talk, but it needed to happen. We ended our chat with sharing positives about each other and our companionship and that really seemed to help get us back on track.

My companions and me. Left to right: Me, Sister Steadman and Sister Zimmerman.

- Later tonight I talked with one of my teachers, Brother Lester, because I was feeling a bit inadequate and like I wasn't near ready to be thrown out in the field. After he told me he had complete confidence in me and that he would have felt comfortable sending me straight out into the field on day one, I couldn't believe what I was hearing! But I really did need that reassurance that I was on track and that I was going to be ok. Thanks Brother Lester!


Friday:
- Today we spent the whole day doing an in-field orientation. The thing I was able to get the most out of it was how to best approach people and go from just talking and getting to know them to switching over to the topic of the gospel and Jesus Christ. I was able to get my creative juices flowing and came up with some good ideas.

- We taught Heather tonight and she prayed! Oh my the Holy Ghost was so powerful. It was such an amazing night with her, by the end of our lesson Heather committed to be baptized! Go Heather!


Saturday:
- My mullet got chopped off today. I know it was sad to see her go... ok not really. I'm still growing my hair out and am hoping to come home with some long hair, but till then I will continue to rock the awkward stages.

Chopped off that mullet. We all got haircuts.
- Brother Lester taught an awesome lesson today in class. I have to say I have some pretty bomb teachers. They do such a fantastic job and I am so grateful for them and for the things they have been able to teach me here.

- Then today we taught a couple over skype and then we also had a chance to go and visit Melissa again. Melissa also prayed for the first time with us tonight. I'm not sure there is anything better than being able to hear someone pray for the first time. Oh, and she also committed to being baptized. I'm beginning to wonder if they just have all of our converts accept baptism before we leave to boost our confidence. Either way we always leave so happy!


Sunday:
- Today I was called on to speak at church. They had us all prepare a talk on how to recognize the spirit and Elder Judd and I were both called to speak. I was grateful I had the opportunity to speak, but I have to let you know I was so impressed with Elder Judd. When Elder Judd first got here he was so shy, quiet, and homesick and now just 11 days later he stood up there and spoke with such power. When he bares his testimony it is amazing! I can't begin to express how much I have loved being able to see the growth in these Elders in my district. They make me so proud!

- As a district we went on a walk up to the Temple and that was fun. It was cold, but there were a TON of missionaries up there so that was kinda fun to see us all together.

MTC Zone on the temple trip.

Funny Temple District.

- Tonight we had to say goodbye to our four elders in our district that are going to Texas. It's amazing how close we have gotten and how much love you can develop for people in such a short amount of time. I truly do love those boys and pray that they will be the best missionaries they can be!

- Ok, lastly this is just kinda of interesting, but after my talk about recognizing the spirit, Brother Bahr (from my branch presidency) came up to me and told me that while I was speaking he was touched by the spirit and had an impression. I told him I thought that was great... I really didn't know what else to tell him. But then he went on and asked me if I would contact him in a year and a half once I got home. I wasn't really sure what he was saying, but I told him I would. What on earth do you think the spirit impressed him with?! And why did he feel like it was so important to ask me to contact him after my mission? Whatever it was I guess it must have been important. I made sure I got his contact information so once I am home I can give him and call.

My District.

My District.
I found Kate's mom (Sister Bass) at the MTC!  She is going to AZ on her mission!

This weeks highlights:
- Elder Koster told the BEST embarrassing story of all time!!!
- Sister Kirkby's Mom sent her movie theater popcorn and let me tell you that stuff has never tasted so good!
- A few of us bought matching CTR Superman shirts. Yeah we are just that cool!
- I got scared to death one night when I thought I heard a bunch of birds flying into our classroom window. Turns out it was just the rain. (However, this morning when we were walking by we did happen to see 3 dead birds just chillin' on the ground outside of the windows so apparently those windows are a problem.
- And lastly I have been craving grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup all week long! That just might be one of the first things I make once I get out to Minnesota.


Until next week- I love you all!
Sister Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment